Ever wonder about the actual mechanisms behind your garage door? While some components are visible, others are well hidden. These hidden components, the springs, are actually the major workforce behind the scene. While many believe that the motor is the main component, the motor actually just uses the energy from the springs to move the door along the track system. Ultimately leaving the springs with the task of aiding in the opening and closing of your garage door. If one spring breaks, your garage door will no longer be able to open or close.
How many types of garage door springs are there? There are two basic types of garage door springs, Torsion Springs and Extension Springs.
Torsion Springs, are springs wound up on a rod over the garage door opening. These specific springs are wound up very tightly and unfortunately for this reason, tend to have problems. As with any constantly used product, wear and tear is expected. The most common occurrences with Torsion Springs are cracks and becoming loose over time.
Word of warning – Torsion Springs are not toys! Unless you are 100% confident, that you are knowledgeable enough regarding Torsion Spring repair and can do the job, do not attempt to fix it yourself. Many homeowners have been injured trying to tighten or repair their garage door springs. Your safety is very important to us, so please just call a professional to repair or adjust your garage door springs.
Extension Springs, are the springs located on the doors track. These springs are mounted on the top or on the left and right hand side of the tracks. Just as the name indicates, these springs extend to close the garage door and spring back to their original position, to open it. If the extension spring breaks, it is not as difficult to repair as the Torsion Spring, but it is still recommended to have a trained professional complete the job.
Important Tips On Adjusting Garage Door Springs:
• If one of your springs break, you’ll want to replace both! Wear and tear is equal on springs, so if one breaks, the other is sure to break soon. So save yourself some time and money and replace both.
• Before adjusting or unmounting your garage door springs, it is important that you release all the tension off the springs. Even the slightest bit of tension will wreak havoc on you and your garage door. In order to release the tension off your Extension Spring, open your garage door completely until you hear a click. The click sound indicated the door is completely open and the tension has been released.
• When adjusting the Torsion Spring, the garage door has to be fully stretched, also known as closed.
• Once again, it is not recommended to repair or adjust your own garage door springs. Please call a trained professional to prevent any harm to you or your garage door.
• The most common garage door problems/complaints are, clinking or creaking sounds. These are easily repaired with a simple adjustment by a garage door specialist.
• Your garage door springs go through more wear and tear than any other part of your garage door. So once again, it is vital that your garage door springs once a month. Prevention is key! Same Day Broken garage door repair Garage Door Repair Aistin
All Access Garage Doors
5505 Clay Avenue, Austin, Texas 78756, United States
Copyright © 2023 All Access Garage Doors - All Rights Reserved.
Best Garages Door Repair Services Near me
***10 YEARS WARRANTY SPRING***
$25 off single torsionss pring and $55 off double torsions spring
Book your Appointment online or call us at (833) 537-1818
NOT VALID WITH ANY OTHER OFFERS.
Must present a coupon at time of service to
receive a discount. some restrictions may apply.
One coupon per customer.